Bungie has had a rough couple of months due to questionable XP-systems locking players out of paid-for content, as well as the overall lack of end-game content and their less then stellar communication with the community and the state of the game's microtransactions. Now, in a new blog post, Bungie has been talking about how the future will look, both short-term and looking further ahead, and while there are some things that look promising, fans fear that it is too little too late.
The issues with the game's microtransactions will be addressed by letting players earn loot by playing and not buying, which is something the community has been asking for. Bungie will also begin to include game modes that were missing like Private Matches, Strike Scoring, and ranked play for the Crucible, and overall they want to address the loot system and therefore make the end-game aspect more encouraging. The updates will begin to roll out in late January and continue throughout 2018. There are too many updates to list them all here but we added a few important ones below. You can read them all over at Bungie.net.
We're shifting the balance of new content in favor of activity rewards over Bright Engrams. This includes adding Ghosts, Sparrows, and ships (to date found only in Bright Engrams) to achievement reward pools.
We are still investigating changes to XP earn rates. Our goal with any updates to XP are transparency and consistent XP gain regardless of your preferred activity. Right now, it's too slow in general and lopsided towards grinding specific activities (which is not a fun grind) and we want to fix that without making those activities low value to players who aren't grinding them (fairness is cool). Our first attempt turned out to be unworkably buggy so we're having to investigate other angles. We will continue to update you as we move forward.
January 30 Update
- Masterwork Armor
- We are expanding the Masterwork system to include armor.
- Masterwork Armor provides increased damage reduction while using your Super.
- You can reroll the armor stat type on Masterwork Armor, and similar to Masterwork weapons, you can upgrade a piece of armor to Masterwork by spending Masterwork Cores and Legendary Shards.
- Raid Reward Rework
- We are updating Raid rewards to make them more unique and interesting. They will now feature mods with Raid-specific perks, and we are adjusting the rewards to ensure a Raid item drops from each major encounter. The Raid vendor will also directly sell Leviathan and Eater of Worlds armor and weapons for purchase with Raid tokens and Legendary Shards.
- We are also adding a new Ghost with Raid-specific perks that has a chance to drop from the Leviathan and Eater of Worlds final encounters. We intend to return to creating more Raid and other activity-unique rewards in the future.