It's no secret that Battleborn endured a very rough start, much of it due to unwarranted comparisons to Overwatch. However, there's a few other reasons for the game's early struggles, and Gearbox is now aiming to make a few changes that might draw some players (and maybe even new ones) back.
The studio has revealed that they'll release a massive update very soon, and the list of tweaks and adjustments is quite impressive:
• All 25 core characters will be unlocked after completing the prologue. The character unlock challenges will now instead award brand new skins upon completion. They've also adjusted several challenges to be more attainable.
• Story Mode missions will have more guides and tools to lead you through various areas of the game. The Credit rewards will also get a boost to help you get an early edge on loot packs.
• To help you even further, they'll included two new training modes. Incursion tutorial will help you build up your PVP skills and learn the key elements of competitive play. The first play-through must be completed alone, but can be repeated with groups of up to three players. Meanwhile, the Dojo tutorial will let you play around with every hero. Learn how to slice, dice, blast, smash, and rocket your way through waves of minions.
Then there's the changes meant for more experienced players:
• The user interface will be cleaner, more vibrant, and much easier to navigate. This includes the starting screen, Command centre, character select, and menus.
• Draft Mode is a new mode where teams and players take turns picking and banning characters trying to find the perfect match-ups and counters for what the other team is choosing.
• Story Mode and Competitive Multiplayer Mode will now have daily quests.
• Command Rank will be increased to 150, while Character Rank increasing to 20. This includes all-new rewards.
• They'll overhaul the Credits system and how loot packs are made available, particularly in Competitive Multiplayer matches. Credits will now accumulate faster in public PVP matches, making it easier to grab more loot packs from the Marketplace. Players who leaves a game won't get anything.
• One type of loot pack will be available in the Marketplace: The Core Pack. The Core Pack has better odds for higher rarity gear and has a chance to drop any skin or taunt previously available in Faction packs.
• A bigger variety of Boosts will become available for Platinum in the marketplace.
• The awaited PS4 Pro support arrives. You'll now be able to choose between 1080p at 60fps or 4K at 30fps.
They'll reveal even more about the update during a Twitch stream tomorrow, but we're already quite impressed.