Gamereactor International English / Dansk / Svenska / Norsk / Suomi / Deutsch / Italiano / Español / Português

Forgot password?
I'm not a member, but I want to be

Or log in with a Facebook account
FacebookFacebook
Sort order newest
Atrás

Off-topic

Feel free to discuss anything not to do with games in ...

Chat 1.0

Strategist
Community Manager
Strategist
There's actually much recent history, in especially the United States, of conservative christian militias and extremists performing such terror attacks. Oklahoma City and Salt Lake City comes to mind, but also frequent attacks on abortion clinics on the east coast. Conservative Christians have more than just theoretical blemishes on their record.
But this was seemingly more motivated by his rightwing convictions. It's too early to tell for sure though.

••• Abusus non tollit usum! •••                                                                                                      Moderatorsjef @ Gamereactor®                                          
IngviSnaedal
GR®
IngviSnaedal
True. Very true.

http://ingvi.steinsson.org
Strategist
Community Manager
Strategist
Now it turns out he's published a fifteen hundred pages manifesto that elaborates in detail how he has planned this since 2002 and how he portrays his world view. Amongst other stuff it is a diary, with the last entry at 12.51 yesterday.
The title is '2083 - A European Declaration of Independence'. An obvious attempt to align himself with the likes George Orwell the author of 1984. He has also admitted to the facts in police interviews.
This was more than just premeditated. He explains in detail how he acquired explosives and weapons. And he claims he used World of Warcraft as a diversion, since it allowed him to stay isolated for long periods without anyone becoming suspicious. He could just claim to be addicted to World of Warcraft.

Also he used Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 as a 'training-Simulator' for the civil-'war against Islam'. But he also claims to be more of a fan of fantasy-RPGs like Dragon Age: Origins.

Norwegian media is hung up on the fact he was a gamer obviously.

Appended 2011-07-24 02:30:
On a sad side note, we're missing an active member of the Norwegian Gamereactor Community, who was reportedly at the island Utoya, and who haven't been accounted for.

••• Abusus non tollit usum! •••                                                                                                      Moderatorsjef @ Gamereactor®                                          
IngviSnaedal
GR®
IngviSnaedal
Damn. Hope he's all right.
This guy has nothing in common with Orwell. Orwell didn't go around murdering innocent civilians because of his political ideologies. He put them in writing and changed the world in his own way using intellect and his gift with the pen.
What this guy did was not only cowardly, but also counter productive. What was he trying to prove? If he was trying to make a point against Islam and multiculturalism, all he succeeded to do was lop himself into the same category as the Islamic terrorists he so passionately hates. It makes no difference for what reason you commit these atrocities, they are no less wrong. To me, he proved that all religion creates extremists, and all religious extremists are evil, delusional, closed minded, bigoted, hatemongering morons.

I can't wait for the enlightened Atheist utopia to become a reality.

Strategist
Community Manager
Strategist
Quote IngviSnaedal:
I can't wait for the enlightened Atheist utopia to become a reality.
Hah. I'm with you there. But don't get all hung up on it and try to blow something up in the effort.

Appended 2011-07-24 16:08:
Orwells intent was to show his vision of where the world was headed, and that way warn society of it. This lunatic terrorist tried to portray his vision as an inevitable goal and as the right direction to head in, even though the world he portrays reminds me more than a little of the horror scenario in 1984.

IngviSnaedal
GR®
IngviSnaedal
Quote Strategist:
don't get all hung up on it and try to blow something up in the effort

Of course not. That vision will only become a reality through education, open communication and a free exchange of ideas. Never as a result of violence.

Actually, when you look at the most dramatic changes in our history, you'll find that historically, the pen really is much mightier than the sword. Violence has, in some cases, been used to enforce a world view, but the mind, paper and pen are the ones that create them.

Strategist
Community Manager
Strategist
Yeah. I know. And it's good to know. Norway and the rest of Europe is already headed in a fascist direction that scares the shit out of me. I hope this won't push us further and faster.

IngviSnaedal
GR®
IngviSnaedal
I agree. The new border laws that Denmark has just instated are just an example of the retreat from multiculturalism taking place in Western Europe.
I'm a strong believer in integrating people of other races, backgrounds, and nations onto ones society and educating them. This not only integrates them better into ones own society and strengthens it as a result, but also allows for the possibility that some of those people will carry the ideologies back home, and issue a new era of enlightenment in their own societies.

Integration and multiculturalism are not only the present, but the future. There's no way around it. The future lies with a united Earth.

Maybe your strategic knowledge will be useful in bringing that reality about ;)

Strategist
Community Manager
Strategist
There's a problem with this. I can't really say if my preferred ideology or structure of society is the 'best'. I'm not qualified to pass judgement on that matter. Since I have an ideological opinion I'm biased by default.
Therefore I'm not unconditionally convinced of the portability of western ideology. If I want to spread my ideology to the rest of the world that's a egoistic approach I'm aware, but it still might be objectively right. It definitely is right from my subjective viewpoint.

However, what I truly believe, is that the manner we have built our society, and the society I want to live in, both demand and need that we accept all that want to live in this society to enter. No matter from where. Or our society will be fundamentally hypocritical. Also I am convinced, by what I consider empirical evidence, that there is no fundamental difference between people from all over the world that disables us from living together in the same time and space. There are no real clash of cultures or world views other than those imagined and constructed out of irrational xenophobia.

I'm not sure I like the phrase 'new era' either. And I won't stamp myself out as a multiculturalist, since it's too vague a concept for my liking.

Hopetify
Hopetify
How old is gamereactor.eu? it cannot be so old as the other ones.

What is dead may never die
Strategist
Community Manager
Strategist
It's far more recent than the scandinavian sites. I can't remember exactly when it first showed up, but it came around at the beginning of 2009. So it has two years under the belt now.

JeppeJeppeDK
JeppeJeppeDK
Drinking coffee from a big mug... Too big apparently, it's gone cold... Well I need the caffeine

It was the best of times. It was the BLURST OF TIMES!!!
Strategist
Community Manager
Strategist
Technically you don't actually need the caffeine.

I've never really understood the appeal in pouring in some hot acidic liquid that tastes foul, is addictive and messes with your body. But that's just me.

JeppeJeppeDK
JeppeJeppeDK
Quote Strategist:
you don't actually need the caffeine.

Yes I do.... Coffee, my precious...

It has actually developed into a bit of addiction lately, I know it's not healthy at all in those doses but I will get a healthy relationship to coffee after my examns.... (Never trust an addict)...

Strategist
Community Manager
Strategist
I've thought myself to use determination rather than drugs to keep awake when I need to. And I often do, as I'm ever a procrastinator.

JeppeJeppeDK
JeppeJeppeDK
Quote Strategist:
as I'm ever a procrastinator

I'm guilty in that as well
You're way is probably (absolutely) the healthiest and I would avoid the occasionally stomach aches.. But am I ready for rehab... I don't know

Strategist
Community Manager
Strategist
Healthy is not an appropriate description after spending more than 76 straight hours completely without sleep in order to finish a major assignment...

JeppeJeppeDK
JeppeJeppeDK
Quote Strategist:
Healthy is not an appropriate description after spending more than 76 straight hours completely without sleep in order to finish a major assignment...

76 hours, no, that does definitely not sound healthy. 76 hours!!!! That's a looooong time with no sleep. Didn't you go:"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"?

And I must admit, I'm a bit curious 'bout the assignment?

Strategist
Community Manager
Strategist
The task wasn't that big, but when I started I was already fatigued from sleeping only 2-3 hours the two previous nights. Then I procrastinated for a while before I had to read the 150-page book that our lecturer had written and that I had to have read to have any clue about the topic I was writing. Then it's just that it's straining to write an assignment when you're sleep deprived to that extent, but I couldn't risk sleeping and possibly not waking up in time to deliver the paper. I did get a good grade though.

ZchmeKko
ZchmeKko
Fancy

"It's ok to not like things, but don't be a dick about it" - TotalBiscuit
FIN MSH4
FIN MSH4
Quote ZchmeKko:
Fancy

Fancy is too short, Make it longer, Rules?

"Earth will never be the same." - Halo 2 tagline.
Strategist
Community Manager
Strategist
If it's pertinent we are able to see through our fingers with the less strict rules.

I have turned my sleeping rhythm completely around and I can't seem to fix it. I now sleep from 10 AM to 3PM almost exactly the time of day there's light outside.

Strategist
Community Manager
Strategist
*bump*

Apparently, the Dutchess of Cambridge is pregnant. I expect the british press to go completely nuts over this fact.

Also, the Pope is joining Twitter. Could be fun.

Mike Holmes
GR®
Mike Holmes
Quote Strategist:
*bump*

Apparently, the Dutchess of Cambridge is pregnant. I expect the british press to go completely nuts over this fact.

Also, the Pope is joining Twitter. Could be fun.

Maybe the two things are linked? ;)

Strategist
Community Manager
Strategist
I think the Pope has given up on the British Isles a long time ago.

You must be logged in to comment. If you are not yet a member - join now!