1. The game's a direct sequel to the original Black Ops, and features characters from the original - namely Alex Mason, and Frank Woods.
2. It's set across different time periods: the mid-80s and near-future 2025.
3. Gameplay in the two different time periods is split between Alex and his son David, with an elderly Frank Woods in 2025 serving as narrative device for flashbacks.
4. The main villain is one Raul Menendez, and his role somehow ties into China and America's war over rare earth minerals.
5. 2025's battlefield will echo the likes of Ghost Recon with unmanned drones and devices entering the fray - and it's control over these machines of war that drives the story's main conflict.
6. There'll be a multi-branching storyline, with mission decisions altering the course of your campaign.
7. Zombie mode is back, with twice as many Undead as before.
8. New to the series are Strike Force Missions: a sub-mission type that's a mix of RTS and front line battles.
8. It's still on the Infinity Ward Engine.
Read on for Daniel Guanio's studio report as Gamereactor visits Treyarch's offices to see how Black Ops is merging fiction with reality once more.